Friday, December 31, 2010

Dear Kurt and family,

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't begin to express my feelings and love for Deanne. How grateful and lucky I am that you were so willing to share your wife and mom with me.  She truly exemplified everything a friend should be.  

I don't know if you know that we meet about 16 years ago when she was assigned to be my visiting teacher.  And what a blessing.  She became like a sister to me.  She taught me to be a friend to those I visit taught. What started out as Visiting teaching visits became a long and special friendship.  

Deanne did so many things for so many people that I'm sure she didn't even tell her family.  So I want to share a few of those things she did for me so you all know some of them.  

In April 2001 my 33 year old sister passed away. I went to Vegas for a week to make arrangements for her kids and the funeral.  I didn't know how I could take a week off and how I would handle it financially and emotionally.  I was working 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs to make ends meet.  When I returned as I entered my house I knew Deanne had been there.  The cupboards were full of groceries, there was a hot meal ready and a bouquet of flowers on the table.  Deanne had left a note offering to do anything else I needed.  But so like Deanne she had already done everything without being asked.  I got through the next few weeks with Deanne making many caring calls just to inquire how I was and let me know someone else shared my pain. Deanne helped get me through this time.

Another time that is a HUGE memory for me and my kids was Christmas (I think 1999, or 2000). Kurt and Deanne rescued me, more than they can imagine. JJ, Jackie, Jordan, Kip and John I want you to know that I can never repay what your Mom and Dad did for me that Christmas.
I was living on the corner of Sidewinder and Comstock. We had been living there for a few months.  We had recently moved from SunValley, Id.  Circumstances were such that I had to leave everything I owned in storage units there, or in the rental we had been living in.  We were sleeping on the floor, eating at the kitchen counters, and using a igloo for food. Everything was in Idaho.  I couldn't afford to go get anything and thought I would lose it all.  The things that were the most heartbreaking were the scrapbooks, homemade blankets from grandmas, pictures, a life time of memories those kind of things that can't be replaced.    
Anyway on the 23rd of Dec.a big U-haul pulls in to the driveway. Kurt was driving.  He had gone to SunValley and pickup up all my stuff.  Many ward members arrived along with Deanne and unloaded that U-haul, put beds together, made beds, filled cupboards and even brought in a Christmas tree.  
I can't even begin to describe how happy the kids were.  How embarrassed and happy I was.  As I reminisce about that time it still makes me cry.  I can't believe there are such wonderful and good people in this world. And I really can't explain how that Christmas changed my life and made me want to be just like Kurt and Deanne. For my kids it was a Christmas where they had thought life couldn't get any worse and it ended up being a joyous and wonderful holiday.

Deanne could always do these kind of things and make the recipient (me) not feel stupid. She just radiated love and gave service everywhere she went.

I have many more stories of fun and happy times Deanne and I shared. I loved being able to think about them.

I know Deanne has probably already got a service project planned up in heaven. She is teaching the inactive and less fortunate how to live the gospel so they can spend eternity with their loved ones just like she will.   She is so busy being that wonderful friend and helping others that she is smiling and radiating goodness for everyone to see. I sure will miss Deanne.

Your family has been in my thoughts and prayers constantly this week.  May the Lord be with you and watch over all of you in the coming weeks,
Kelly   

No comments:

Post a Comment