Friday, December 31, 2010

Letters

These are a few letters we received in the mail with sweet messages and stories about our mom.  Please feel free to keep sending messages to rememberingdeanne at gmail dot com.

Dear Kurt,
I hope you won't mind Catholic masses being said in honor of your beloved, Deanne.  She told me years ago that she felt our "faiths" had much in common.  I enroll all those whom I love in these masses, and am honored to do so for Deanne.
My life was blessed by knowing your beautiful wife.  I always felt the love and joy of Christ in Deanne.  She was kind enough to go cross country skiing with me once.  I still marvel at her patience and forbearance in trying to help such a challenged athlete!  None of this seemed to matter to Deanne.  I always felt she looked upon me as Christ would.
I hope you will enjoy these pictures taken at Bonnie N.'s home in 2003.  I have saved one for myself.  Deanne will be treasured in my heart and prayers.
I pray that the peace of Christ will overflow in your lives, that He will comfort and heal you, and that you will know the love and pride Deanne has for you as she smiles down upon you from heaven. 
With love and prayers, Arlene



Dear Kurt and family,

I am so sorry that I was unable to attend Deanne's funeral today.  It broke my heart to realize I could not be there.  I know that you had dear family and friends there to support you , but how I wish that I could have been one of those beloved there with you today.
I though that I'd write you a short note to tell you how much I loved Deanne. I knew her since we were little girls.  She was the little sister of my best friend, Jana.  Deanne was not a pesky little sister, though.  She was enthusiastic and so much fun that is was natural to include Deanne in our play activities. I always admired and enjoyed Deanne's upbeat personality.  It was fun to see how popular Deanne was in school and how sweet she was with everyone she came in contact with.
I remember the first time I met you in Utah.  You, with that long wild hair and outgoing personality! You and Steve came to visit in the dead of the Utah winter! I never dreamed then that you adn Deanne would wed and create such a fine and loving family.  I always get a smile on my face when I recall that you met Deanne at my wedding reception.  It was a pleasure to witness the wonderful marriage that resulted in that chance meeting in Grants Pass, Oregon on April 29, 1975!
Deanne had an infectious, wonderful laugh. She had a never ending positive attitude that was contagious.  Even when Deanne was ill with cancer, she made it appear that it was only a mere inconvenience.  Deanne was down to earth and never pretentious with her accomplishments.
You may already know this, but instead of sending flowers to Deanne's funeral, the Stanger family is donating to LDS Philanthropies money in Deanne's name, which is so appropriate considering Deanne's philanthropic service.  Her compassion changed the lives of those women and daughters in Ghana.   How I admire Deanne and the selfless service she provided! what a great example she is to me.
Though we did not see each other often, I always felt and instant bond, or a re-bond every time I was privileged to be with Deanne. It is a wonderful feeling that is hard to explain and a feeling that I share with only a few select friends in this world.  I wish our reunions could have been more frequent throughout the years.  But, C'est la vie, huh?  I smile when I remember good times we spent in Oregon, Washington DC, and Park City.  And by the way, thank you for babysitting Michael when Steve and I attended my sister's wedding in 1981!
I wish that I could have had one more time to talk with Deanne.  Boy did I love that girl! Amongst other points of conversation, I would definitely ask Deanne to give Jana and Al all my love, because I know that they are together waiting for all of us to join them.  Thank goodness for the gospel and the enlightened view we have about our lives here and the hereafter!
I hope to hear form you every now and then, ,eve if it is only a brief email. Please keep in touch!

All my love, Serena

Dear Deanne,

I have been thinking today the irony of the many miles we have traveled together, but we never left Park City.  we never gazed upon European castles, the Roman Coliseum, Great Wall of China, or Mt. Everest together.  Our simple hikes on the trails of Park City through all kinds of weather and punctuated with the occasional "where's Jupiter... here Moose, and Gammmmbit!", have given me cherished and rich memories.  It not only bonded us as friends but brought us together spiritually as we shared our lives, our concerns and our testimonies.  We conquered those skinny skis together and I will never forget those sunny days out on the ski trails and the peace and enjoyment that it brought to us both in our hectic lives.
You have always been such an example of faith to me and not only lead the way so many times on the trail, but lead the way in teaching me the faith and courage that is needed to live this unpredictable life.  You have done it with love, grace, and dignity.
This friendship will never part, although we must be parted in this world for a small time, it will be renewed eternally.  You have shared so much with me and I am eternally grateful that we walked some distance of our lives together.  I shall never forget you, you shall always walk with me, my friend.
love, Nancy


Dear Kurt, Kip, John JJ, Jordan, Jackie, and families,

About two weeks before my dear friend slipped from this earth we were talking on the phone.  She stared to weep, saying she was so frustrated that she was not able to create the stockings for each of you.  It was a highlight for her and was such a fun and joyous time for her, creating each one.  We shared out stocking stories and had a good laugh.  Over the years we shared what we would do and what we would get for stockings. Even when in Ghana we were always on the lookout for a great stocking gift...it's a fun priority to have in life as you travel through this live...stocking stuffer tings.
As we talked on the shone I sincerely volunteered to gather some stocking stuffers for you darlings and send them out.  She was actually relieved at the possibility, agreeing and thanking me!!  So here are the stocking stuffers for you...just imagine that your mother was there with me, helping to pick them out.  And that she also had fun doing it with me.
It has been a bitter sweet December, and I still find it difficult to realize that you sweet wife, mother and my dear friend is no longer among us.  I still talk to her and will find myself going to my phone to call her Something funny, sweet, or challenging with happen and I'll want to share it with her.  Actually, I still do, I just talk to her and laugh and sometimes cry at others.  This life is so good and I'm so very grateful for all the amazing and wonderful memories that I hold with in my minds eye and heart.
I pray that this Christmas will still be joyous and memorable in several different ways.  That your little ones will feel the security and love of family and that the ties from eternity will bind you together at this time.  The gifts from our Savior...comfort, peace and the gift of eternal  life and reunion are real and are there for us, with our seeking of them.

All my love to each of you, always, Lynette



Dear Krieger family,
Deanne has truly been a light and inspiration to me.  Whenever I saw her or talked to her, her attention was always focused on me or on others, not on herself, even when it was apparent she must be feeling terrible.
My husband had also struggled with (and died from) cancer so I was aware of some of the distressing treatments and side effects Deanne must have experienced.  But she never wanted to talk about her illness.  Instead, she sweetly turned the conversation to me and my family and other everyday things.  She also loved to talk about her beloved African Saints.
I have been a Relief Society teacher in our Draper 6th ward for quite a while, and I really appreciated Deanne's comments and the attention she gave me whenever she could be there.  Although her head was covered by a scarf because of her loss of hair, her large dark eyes and intelligent face were so beautiful as she radiated her gratitude and love fro the Gospel.  I am a better person to have known her.
Joan D.


Dear Kurt and family,
Our thoughts and wishes are with you and your families ant this most difficult time.  Deanne was very courageous, as was the whole family, in fighting her disease.  We are sorry that we couldn't have done more.
If there is anything we can do in the future to help, please free to contact us.
Please accept our deepest sympathy on your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you.
With much sorrow,
C. Reddy, M. D.

No comments:

Post a Comment