Thursday, January 6, 2011

Deanne Krieger
Friendships are true where neither distance nor time erases the love and memories and they maintain an immediate ability to reconnect wherever and whenever we meet.  I have known Deanne and Kurt since 1979, when Kurt and I started our first year of law school.  It was then that a small nucleus of friends began a true friendship that continues to this day. 
Since those first days in law school there have been many times when we have joined together as a group or individually to share experiences, to reminisce and to support and sustain one another.  It is a friendship that has endured time, tragedy, pain and challenges.  It has also been a friendship that has given comfort, laughter, shelter from the press of the world and companionship.
Groups like this endure because of a unique combination of personalities that blend in ways that create an environment that is sustaining.  Deanne brought so many wonderful qualities and experiences to our group.  Deanne was genuinely interested in everybody and when we all were together she brought out the best in each of us.  When a tragedy in my life left me alone, Deanne and Kurt both reached out and strengthened me and other family members through a very rough time. 
Deanne knew how to make the best of every circumstance.  When we were in Jamaica and John became the youngest member of the group, she made sure we all had fun at the house we rented setting up massages and a sing along that was truly “Jamaican Style.”  Through a mutual friend, L learned how much Deanne did to strengthen and help others when she was in Africa.  She had a great capacity to look beyond her own pain, sorrow and struggles and make all around her feel better.
Deanne also had a real sense of adventure.  When all of the guys, except me (I put a major drag on the game) needed their golf fix – I became the designated driver and watched how the women of the group made the best use of their free time.  Deanne was always ready to do anything: go deep sea fishing, snorkeling, horseback riding, cave exploring, waterfall climbing, baby turtle saving, rafting and even being an amazing player of charades.
Deanne had the art of giving perfected as much as anyone I know.  She loved to give to others.   When Julie entered my life, Deanne immediately connected with her and made sure she felt comfortable as a part of the group.  Whenever we were in Salt Lake, Deanne made time for us and even made a bracelet with her from beads she collected in Africa which will always be a treasure for Julie and a reminder of Deanne’s love and friendship.
While a distance has been forced upon me through the necessary transitions mortality placed on Deanne far too early; neither time nor distance will diminish the friend that she is to me and the wonderful lessons that she has taught me.  In my memories of her will be so many things for me to consider that will lift me closer to my Father in Heaven and will make me a better friend.  Deanne, you will be missed, but ever a friend – until we meet again.       

No comments:

Post a Comment